Powered by Blogger.

Nimoy A-Go-Go

>> Tuesday, August 23, 2011



As I type, I sit looking at the chiseled features of one Mr. Spock, staring logically at me from the cover of the album, Leonard Nimoy Presents Mr. Spock's Music From Outer Space.

No, I'm not kidding! I actually own this kitschy masterpiece of sci-fi geekdom. I just listened to a few tracks. They transported me to a far-off galaxy known as the 1960's. 


The first track was a nod to Nimoy's Star Trek role—the theme from the series itself. What was different about it was the go-go quality to the music. This isn't the version we all have heard Shatner pontificating over. This sounded more like some girls in white boots and paisley jumpers should have been shimmying to it on American Bandstand. Far out.











Other tracks were notable just because of their titles. “Music To Watch Space Girls By,” for example. This peppy instrumental brought visions of Marcia Brady at a junior prom to mind. Someone set phasers to kill—that's what it's going to take to get that picture out of my head. I'm already stunned.

Selections like “Alien” and “Highly Illogical” gave me a window into Spock as a beatnik poet and as a guest on a variety show, respectively. There's just something strange about hearing that voice wax philosophical about human dating rituals.


Then there was “Spock Thoughts,” the Vulcan equivalent of fortune cookies. Listen to some of these gems:

“Go placidly amid the noise and haste and remember what peace there may be in silence.” OK, not bad.

How about, “Speak your truth quietly and clearly and listen to others—even the dull and ignorant, for they too have their story.” Snort!

“Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery.” Sounds like Mr. Spock had one too many run-ins with the Ferengis.

I'll stop there. Most of the rest of them sound like the good science officer had imbibed a bit too much Romulan ale.

You know what? I'm thinking someone on one of those home shopping networks ought to re-release this baby as a boxed set, paired with William Shatner's “The Transformed Man.” No, I don't own that one. Yet.



7 comments:

Pencildancers August 23, 2011 at 7:58 AM  

Your posts always make me laugh.
Thanks!
Diana
www.pencildancer.com

Marji Laine - Faith Driven Fiction August 23, 2011 at 9:32 AM  

Ha! Such a fun post! And I won't call you a Trekky because I recognized each word you wrote and understood every Star Trek nod. Yikes! I'm one of them!

Patty Wysong August 23, 2011 at 3:05 PM  

LoL. Love this title: Music To Watch Space Girls By

Hugs!!

Shelley Ledfors August 24, 2011 at 6:58 PM  

Oh, Kristi, this was great! Thanks for the laugh!

Barbara Lynn Culler August 25, 2011 at 6:25 AM  

You can't possibly be old enough to remember those days!

Great post-as usual! :)

Kristi Peifer August 29, 2011 at 12:40 PM  

It's OK, Marji! We can admit that we're Trekkies here. We're amongst friends! :)

Barb, the original Trek was before my time--but syndication is a wonderful thing!

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Mari:

Free2Be-design

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP