Powered by Blogger.

Go Suck Hose Water!

>> Friday, November 5, 2010


Does anyone else find it absurd that the only people who can get health insurance are the ones who don’t really need it? That’s right—those of us with pre-existing conditions, or chronic diseases, or hideous multiplying warts, or a need to sit on a therapist’s couch, or any other of a host of medical scenarios—we are the folks that insurance companies don’t want to touch with a ten foot pole! (And no, those conditions do NOT all apply to me. If I had warts, I probably wouldn’t cop to having them—at least not in print.)

Let me see if I can put my recent experiences in a nutshell.
-         Workplace closes. Lose job. Move back two spaces.
-         Pay into COBRA for umpteen months with government subsidy signed by the president. (Affordable, thankfully!)
-         Pay into COBRA after government subsidy expires. (Not affordable, but I can squeeze by for a few months.)
-         COBRA expires. Offered HIPAA insurance. (Nowhere near affordable.)
-         Looked for options beyond HIPAA and was offered major risk pool insurance. (Costs more than the HIPAA!)
-         Spent half an hour banging my head against the wall.

Meanwhile, the folks at the insurance company, which shall remain nameless, are practicing their evil villain laughs… MWAAAAAHAAAHAAAAHAAA!

Long story short, (too late), now I wait to see if the government will help me out. As a conservative, this is kind of a mixed bag for me. I believe the government needs to spend less, yet the only possible way I will be able to be insured is if they give me a hand. Ah, sweet irony.

So, to sum up, I am willing to pay reasonable premiums, but no one will insure me unless I pay them in body parts. The health insurance industry has basically told me to go suck hose water.

Lousy aftertaste, hose water.

4 comments:

Joanne Sher November 6, 2010 at 9:55 AM  

Stinks, doeesn't it? Praying for a good solution for ya.

Sarah Heywood November 6, 2010 at 12:41 PM  

You know I totally get this, Kristi. And I'm with you - as a fiscal conservative, I am totally against govt. hand-outs. But if we didn't take any of those, then we wouldn't survive. Maybe that's the whole plan, to suck us in, bit by bit.

Jan Christiansen November 8, 2010 at 12:37 PM  

I can certainly relate, Kristi - I tried getting health insurance with diabetes - YIKES! Fortunately, I was able to get on my husband's insurance with only moderate damage to our budget. Since then, I've developed heart issues (the physical kind, not the spiritual kind) and would hate to think what they would charge me if I had to get new insurance.

Praying that God will work this out for you!

Kristi Peifer November 10, 2010 at 1:23 PM  

Thanks for the comments and prayers, ladies! I'm sorry to hear about your heart issues, Jan. May God bless you with good health!

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Mari:

Free2Be-design

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP