Powered by Blogger.

McBummer

>> Sunday, February 27, 2011

When I was a kid in elementary school, our principal held a contest. We had to dress up for St. Patrick’s Day. The winners got to go to McDonald’s with him. My childhood self was all over that challenge. McD’s over math? You betcha!

I dressed up like a leprechaun. I even made little gold coins out of construction paper and glitter and handed them out to other students. It was enough to win a spot with the principal!

Our McDonald’s treat was the smooth and dreamy Shamrock Shake—green minty goodness you can suck through a straw! After that, life was never quite the same. Strawberry just doesn’t cut it once you’ve had Shamrock.

Every year now in February or March, I go hunting for those sweet treats. For years, I lived in a more populated area and getting a shake wasn’t much of a problem. My sister and I would scout them out and let each other know where to find them. We each had to have at least one a year.

Well, now I live in a more remote area. Though an idyllic place to live, it is sadly Shamrock Shake impaired. Just last week I went to the McD’s closest to my home. Politely I asked if they were carrying the coveted item. “I don’t think so. Not this year,” was the clerk’s reply. Not this year? You didn’t do it last year, either! What’s wrong with you people?! Don't you know minty goodness when you see it?

I’m getting desperate. I even Googled “Shamrock Shake locator” and found this great website. Oh, those shakes are out there—but none have been spotted anywhere near me. I’d consider going to the next county over, but with gas at almost $4 a gallon…do you know how many Shamrock Shakes that would buy? Sigh.

Sis, make sure to have a Shamrock Shake for me. I’m counting on you!

4 comments:

Joanne Sher February 28, 2011 at 8:33 AM  

Kristi - you should know they are NOT as good as they used to be. Lots less "shamrock" than when we were kids. (and I had one yesterday, so it's fresh in my mind) Hope that improves your attitude.

Kristi Peifer February 28, 2011 at 2:54 PM  

Major McBummer, Joanne! You know, their new fru-fru shakes aren't as good as the old standard, either.

What attitude? ;)

Sarah Heywood March 7, 2011 at 6:45 PM  

I wonder if you could google the shakes and find a homemade version that might compare?

Sparrow May 7, 2011 at 11:44 PM  

BurgerVille has a mint Oreo shake that sounds similar. I think it's only in WA, OR, and maybe ID, though. Guess you have to come visit me to get a taste of it!

Chocolate mint is my absolute favoritest flavor combination EVER.

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Mari:

Free2Be-design

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP